Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Nature Corner: Scavenger Hunt Challenge
So, since February is National Bird Feeder Month, as well as National Boost-Your-Self Esteem Month (not joking) I have decided to make myself feel smarter by learning to correctly identify all of the birds in Chicago, or at least the ones that come to my bird feeder. Unfortunately, there really are only three different birds that have been regularly coming to my feeder, so I decided today to challenge myself a bit while running some errands.
While picking up some supplies at the art store, I decided to skip down to the river and see what was moving around. And by river, I do mean the Chicago River. There were a few of the usual suspects, the mallard ducks, but then as I was watching them a red tailed hawk flew down and landed on a tree right in front of me. He proceeded to watch me before flying off and then meeting up with his girlfriend in the air, who screamed at him for lollygagging behind. Just as I was about to leave, I noticed some movement on the riverbank and watched as a raccoon washed a clamshell in the water.
I was thinking about all of these great creatures and how often they get overlooked, and so I thought I’d propose an animal scavenger hunt. And yes, this is just another activity to prevent cabin fever, but hey, maybe you can impress your pals by actually learning something too?
So here’s how it will work: Below is a list of fairly common Chicago flora and fauna. Your challenge is to explore the city and find any of the animals or plants on the list, and then document them. In order to make this a little more interesting, I am going to have two categories. Photo, or sketch. If you see one of the plants or animals on the list, you can either take a photo of it, or you can sketch it out. Once you have completed the list, (you have to have at least 10 out of 15 things checked off the list) you can email it to me with photos and /or sketches attached, or you can mail them to me. Click here for how to contact us!
I will draw three names from those people who enter the contest. If your name is drawn, you will receive a free art gift from me in the mail, as well as having your sketches or photos published on my blog. And yes, you could just sit in your living room or office and cheat by looking this stuff up on your computer, but then you would be punished eventually by the devil. Ha ha. So, don’t cheat, and get your butts outside and start exploring. I’ll draw names in three weeks. To make this a little easier, I’ll also include links to places in Chicago where you have the best chance of seeing these things. If you don't happen to live in Chicago, that's cool too, you can still participate, but you're on your own when it comes to finding a good spot.
Good luck!
1. Mallard Duck (male of female)
2. Eastern Cottontail (rabbit)
3. Cottonwood Tree
4. Peregrine Falcon
5. Dark Eyed Junco
6. Red Cedar Tree
7. American Tree Sparrow, or House Sparrow
8. Fox Squirrel
9. Raccoon
10. Ring Billed Gull
11. Sycamore Tree
12. Downy Woodpecker
13. Common Chicory
14. Canada Goose
15. Muskrat
Some tips for finding that allusive thing called NATURE in Chicago... not really, Chicago's actually pretty Green when it wants to be, but in case you needed some additional help:
Montrose Harbor
Openlands Greeways Division
Northerly Island
Humboldt Park and it's sweet little lake
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment