Two weekends ago, I went to New Jersey. If that surprises anyone, then you may want to check yourself. New Jersey is awesome. I was visiting my pal Len (see radiowires on Flickr) who is notorious for finding abandoned structures and for his side-splitting humor. A weekend with Len turned up the following discoveries:Horseshoe crabs: I learned that although the male looks like he’s doing something suspicious in this pic, he’s actually just hitching a ride onto the shore. Seriously. The female is the larger of the two, or should I say, stronger? Anyway, the male climbs on her back to catch a ride onto the beach, then once on the shore, she lays her eggs and he fertilizes them.

Brant Geese: we spotted a few flocks of these geese floating in the tides, snacking on little weeds and grasses. I learned that these migrants actually prefer the upper arctic reaches, and were just migrating through the Jersey area. They are a little smaller than the Canada goose.

Religion: Yes, little religious dioramas do exist in New Jersey. Here’s the holy family, right near a dock.

Skate Carcass: This is the carcass of a skate. Skates and rays are in the same family, the main difference being their teeth and their tails. Rays have a little stinging thing on their tail. Skates don’t. Also Skates have teeth more like a sharks, but not as sharp and scary, and a lot smaller. So I guess they really aren’t like a sharks. But they do grow in rows.

Rusted Nautical Thing: This is a little chunk of a larger rusted barge that we found while searching for a better fishing spot. Usually when Ali sees these pics, she reminds me to get my tetanus shot.

Black Drum: I caught this guy while I was trying to catch something else. Isn’t that always how it goes? Well, I was going to keep this guy for supper, but I had a change of heart and decided to let him go. I had some steak instead. Black Drum are cool because some sea dogs talk about huge schools of drum making so much noise that it sounds like a great rumbling roll of thunder under the ocean. Yeah, I thought that was cool too.















3 comments:
good catch! nice drum.
Yes, good catch! A lot of people underestimate the beauty of New Jersey. The south shore is especially gorgeous. Love all your photos of the natural and manmade wonders you encountered along the way. Thanks for sharing. :)
nice pictures and thanks for the shout out! hopefully we can get some striped ones next time. i did some fishing today. big...old...skunk. hahaa. keep me updated on any catfish related activity.
Post a Comment