
Clockwise from top left: The Family Pillow (Heidi Devlin), Folk Notebook (decoylab), Reusable Veggie Bags (Wonder Thunder), Whale T-shirt (Branch Handmade), Kerr Planter (Pigeon Toe Ceramics) - feyhandmade.com
We're kicking off a new tradition for 2010: interviews with our amazing brick and mortar retailers and online merchants. We're debuting the series with a brand-new Dolan Geiman retail destination, the curated, online handmade and independent marketplace Fey Handmade. Say hello to Christine Lindstrom, founder of Fey Handmade and the artist behind the paintings and prints available in the Etsy shop mai autumn.
Tell us a little about you and the start of Fey Handmade.
Fey Handmade began in 2008 when I moved to my current apartment in Asbury Park, NJ. The city has such a history and has recently been experiencing a revival. So many amazing new restaurants and cute little shops are popping up all over the place. When I moved here though, the whole street across from my window was full of empty storefronts. Having received my degree in Fine Art the past spring, I immediately thought it would be wonderful to open up a gallery in one of these historic little spots! The idea took flight and I started planning my business. I did so much research for months before I could finally start materializing anything. The idea morphed from art gallery to handmade boutique while I was discovering all the amazing handmade goodies there are out there. All the research led to the website, which launched in February of 2009. Although the shop never opened in my town, the resulting community I have put together is so satisfying that I have put the brick and mortar shop on hold indefinitely. Maybe someday though!
I have taken a lot from my past experiences to make all the aspects of the company fit together. I have held positions as a fashion merchandiser, cake decorator, bookkeeper and slide librarian (among so many other things!). I finally feel like I get to do something that combines all of my loves and skills!
How would you describe Fey Handmade’s vision or mission?
The company's mission is to bring a lovely and unique collection of handmade products to inspire and enliven our visitors. We also care deeply about our planet and make sure that all our practices take into consideration the impact we have on the environment.
What's new at Fey Handmade? What's one of the most unusual items for sale in your shop?
We are always getting lots of new and exciting products (just about every day!) and I am really excited to start helping our customers shop in inspiring new ways. Some of the new ways we will be organizing products will be by color, and soon by designer. In the past we have created themes (for instance November was 'November in Paris', which was so much fun for us to organize and for our customers to shop!), I think we may be bringing this back for 2010!
What's one of the craziest things (good or bad) that has happened in the last year?
I think that the craziest thing this year has really been this experience overall! The company has been growing so quickly that I sometimes feel like I have no idea what to expect each new day! It is heartwarming to meet and get to know all the wonderful people that come across my little site. Everyone always has such amazing things to say and it is just a pleasure to go to work! :)
When you go to sleep at night, what excites you about going to work the next day?
I'd have to say that I can't wait to get back to being creative every day - between the visual problems I get to tackle and the every day innovations of the website and on and on - I just love learning and discovering new ways to do things every day!! Sometimes I feel like a complete art/computer/numbers nerd, but it's all so darn fun!
What's your proudest moment since starting Fey Handmade?
I think that every time I've felt proud has been equally wonderful, but can be caused by both large and small events. When a customer emails us to let us know how much the adore their new necklace or when the site is featured on a prominent blog with a rave review, I am eternally grateful. It doesn't matter the magnitude of any accomplishment! They are all so rewarding! :)
Anything new or exciting on the horizon?
With the new year, our most exciting happening is our new partnership with 1% for the Planet. They are a wonderful organization that helps companies contribute 1% of their profits to charities focused on improving and protecting our environment. Since we are so big on the environment, it is a perfect fit!















No comments:
Post a Comment