
So I am knee deep in some Texas bizness right now!!! This is one of 2 pieces I am creating for the 2011 Bayou City Art Festival Memorial Park in Houston, Texas next spring . Next year marks their 40th anniversary and I am so honored and delighted to have been chosen as the featured artist that I can’t even stand it. I love working on large college pieces and this is no exception. Applying small little cut-out squares of paper onto a four by four foot wood panel, yeah that’s how I’ve spent the past week. It’s been really exciting, mainly because I get to rummage through a plethora of dust-covered magazines and newspapers and books looking for the perfect images. Most of these collage papers came from vintage magazines like Farm Journal, Popular Mechanics, Better Homes and Gardens, and a slew of newspapers I have been saving for just such a piece. The magazines and papers I use are all found. I do not buy any of my collage materials because for me part of the fun is in the hunt for materials. Going on scavenger hunts to old abandoned barns in the middle of the night (Why night? Because its more dramatic, of course!) and rifling through piles of textbooks from an 1800’s school house in the middle of the country in mid January, that’s how I roll. Yeah, I dig my job, especially when it involves working on a few Southern infused pieces for a crowd that has been extremely supportive and always ready for more.
Stay tuned for the next piece which I am currently working on (and which explains the wet paint on my keyboard now).















2 comments:
Right on man! This is sweet!
This Texas gal LOVES this! Well done (as usual)
Post a Comment