DOLAN GEIMAN LODGE CLUB

Join the Dolan Geiman Lodge Club to exchange links and receive 10% off all Dolan Geiman purchases.

GRAB A BANNER



For more banner sizes, visit our Downloads page.

SEE OUR POST ON OCT 11

Hello, Splendor

Followers

NETWORKED BLOGS

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wedding Inspiration: Kevin and Molly

(Recently, newlyweds Kevin and Molly sent Dolan a wonderful thank you note describing how a Bluebird BOX PRINT purchase inspired the theme for their recent wedding. As you can imagine, Dolan was touched and greatly honored. I asked Kevin if he wouldn't mind sharing the couple's story and wedding images with our readers and he graciously obliged.)

Molly and I met in June of 2008, coincidentally at a summer street fair in Lakeview, we were both there with friends to see the U2 tribute band Elevation (who then served as our wedding band). I saw her and couldn't stop looking at her. I don't have a lot of "game" so I did the only thing I could think to do, I simply walked up to her and asked her if she would like to meet me for a drink sometime. Stunned at first, she determined that this stranger didn't appear to be a serial killer so after some small talk, she gave me her number. We went out on our first date the following week and from there one can guess the ending. Along the way though, we spent some time in Spain and Northern California wine country. On those trips we both discovered how much we enjoy the simplicity of rolling landscapes, dotted with trees and colorful birds (blue is both our favorite color). The painting we purchased, Bluebird to us represents that beauty and simplicity, but adds to it, with the newspaper branches, what else that provides (trees provided paper) and also recognizes the complexities and overload of information that is life in the 21st century (but most importantly the painting places that complexity 2nd too the overall beauty of simple nature).
That said, our relationship hit a bit of a rough patch in July of 2009. While the details are unimportant, we resolved our differences and shortly thereafter found ourselves along with Molly's son Max, at the Bucktown Arts Festival in August of 2009. I didn't notice it, but Molly pointed our the Bluebird painting to Max as something she liked. Later as we were leaving, I noticed the painting myself (again not knowing she had already pointed it out). We left the festival without purchasing anything and we called it a day and went to our separate homes (mine being a 5 minute walk from the festival). It didn't take me long after to simply walk back to the festival and purchase Bluebird. I felt it a great representation of our mutual likes as well as a great symbol of our reconciliation. By next April, we were engaged to be married.

In planning our wedding (well truth be told, Molly did most of it), we knew we wanted an outdoor wedding, but for the details from there, Bluebird provided a perfect inspiration. From the faux bluebird nest that Max carried down the isle with the rings to the Bluebird cake topper to the colors of the wedding party's (the two girls, my nieces, in blue in the pictures and max) outfits to the branches on the wedding cake, the branches and color of Molly's wedding band and last but not least (likely a copyright violation), but I took a picture of Bluebird and an on my computer typed over it the drink menu (please forgive me, but it looked great). Those are the direct details, but more importantly overall, that day, we felt we were able to live the ideas that the painting represents to us. It was a beautiful, fun day for us, our families and all our guests. We couldn't ask for a more beautiful wedding and we thank you for your inspiration.


(Congratulations Kevin and Molly. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!)

4 comments:

robyn blaikie collins said...

gorgeous!!! love when things connect and make circles

Nancy said...

I'm Kevin's aunt and can vouch for the fact that it was a lovely day for all.

Anonymous said...

super cute couple, love the aesthetic of the event.

Angela said...

Lovely. Makes me want to get married.