
Chris Nightengale of Nightengale Photography
Well first and foremost let me thank Dolan for allowing me to invade his interwebs and blog McThingees and offering up the opportunity to write this little segment of Music vs Monday. I've been a minor source of infusing his membrane with my tastes in music and expanding his personal tastes. It's a real give and take though; somehow he always seems to get another song under my skin. We've both been introduced to grooveshark lately through word of mouth and we're both getting into the site. I've compiled a little playlist that I'm listening to while I write this to you all. I had to run a quick search on love songs for the Valentine's Day segment and laughed at what I found. I had to fall back to all those mixed tapes that I always used to make for people. I hope you enjoy my take on the Valentine's Day playlist.

A Valentine's Day Themed Musics vs Monday Playlist by Chris Nightengale
Ryan Adams "Come Pick Me Up"
Sure he might be an alcoholic, but I think he really gave us some heartbreak on the Hearbreaker record. That always grabbed me. I remember a lot of good and bad.
Nil Lara "Fighting For My Love"
I caught this guy on a PBS Series called "On Tour". It was a real struggle to even find this CD back in '95 and now its in the dollar bin on Amazon. He really caught me with the video and power of singing.
Chris Whitley "Breaking Your Fall"
I know Dolan knew this guy wasn't going to fall through the cracks. The late-great Chris Whitley was another find on PBS circa '95. The love of getting to see this guy play Chicago when he came through town was always a thrill. He was a great guy to watch, playing that National Steel on stage. It was a tough decision to find the right song, but I felt this was a good lover's pick.

Chris Whitley live, photo by Chris Nightengale
Kasey Chambers "Water in the Fuel"
Well, here's where I'll put in the side notes: I'm usually riding shotgun on some odd jobs with Mr. Geiman whether its to NYC or Dallas or Nashville. We feel like truck drivers, well not literally, but we are usually pulling a good load o' art. Kasey Chambers made her way to an old mixed CD and when she came on we found ourselves in the middle of Ohio. I think everyone has a soft heart when you hear that voice.
Percy Sledge "Take Time to Know Her"
Sure we all remember "When a Man Loves a Woman" but this one got to me after watching an old rerun of Moonlighting. Yeah, yeah rub it in. I'm a sucker for the reruns. This one chimed in right at the end of an episode and I loved it. Why don't they write them like this anymore? Hats off to the lyrics and that crazy organ in the background.
Amy Correia "Powder Blue Trans Am"
Some new blood and again with the song writing! Here's a lady singing a song and letting it all hang out, literally. I think I would definitely perk up when that Trans Am rolls around the corner. Come on, its a TRANS AM!

These guys were an opening act for Tori Amos around the time Choir Girl Hotel came out and I don't know why I walked in halfway through their set. This was the song that really set me off on this three piece. I'm a lush for the voices. Quit twisting my arm, I know I'm a lush! You can press stop on the playlist now if you're completely bored or if you're already crying your eyes out. I made sure the last song was a happy-go-lucky song, but it's a sad/happy one too.
John Prine "That's the Way the World Goes Round"
Here's an ex-postal carrier gone folk and he loves it. I can tell by the writing and the voice. Yeah he might have been a drinker too but all the stories on this live CD are great. Why isn't this in your collection? Oh... you don't like folk or country huh? Hmmm...tough crowd.
Well, don't worry. If you come over for a photo-shoot, I won't be playing sad songs that make you cry during the shoot. That's another Music vs Monday. I hope you all have a great Valentine's Day 2011 and remember if you're not lovin' on someone, I'm sure someone out there is lovin' on you. Mr Geiman, thank you again and yes, I might start doing some more writing and illustrating and all that other crap I've been talking about since '06.
"... it's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown, that's the way that the world goes round.." -John Prine















No comments:
Post a Comment