
the Reader (our local paper) when he discovered a little place called Garifuna Flava. I was skeptical at first, with the address at 63rd and Western. However I overcame those fleeting worries of the yuppie class when I took one look at the menu. Dishes made with the flavors of Belize, and prepared by the owner's momma: sounded like the cure for what ailed me. After circling the place like vultures looking for parking (they do have a lot, but it was full) we finally cruised up to a meter and ran across the street to check it out. We were greeted by the nicest gentleman, laid back, and friendly, and so decided to sit up at the bar. As it turns out, our host was also the owner and we immediately launched into some heavy chit chat about the place and the food. We ordered the stewed chicken and kingfish for entrees, and those came with the most amazing sides. The kingfish was served basking in a bowl of curry flavored goodness, and came with a side of ground plantains (pictured). My chicken was absolutely amazing, falling off the bone, and was served with a side (actually a large plate) of red beans and rice. By the time we made it through an appetizer and small salads and our meal, there was no room left for dessert. Next time...
So to sum it up: excellent food, excellent service, excellent hospitality. Oh, and the bill was under 35 bucks for everything. Which by today's Chicago standards is pretty good I think. You could just go and get the stewed chicken and leave with a giant meal for under $10. And I got to meet momma, who is super sweet.
So here's the address: 2516 W 63rd | Chicago, IL
If you are too shy to go by yourself, call me, I'll go with you.
-- Post From My iPhone















No comments:
Post a Comment