DOLAN GEIMAN LODGE CLUB

Join the Dolan Geiman Lodge Club to exchange links and receive 10% off all Dolan Geiman purchases.

GRAB A BANNER



For more banner sizes, visit our Downloads page.

SEE OUR POST ON OCT 11

Hello, Splendor

Followers

NETWORKED BLOGS

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Revelations and Proclamations: Top Sights This Year

It’s August already. Sitting here in disbelief, I was starting to get bummed about how fast the summer is flying by and then I thought, "Hey, I’ve seen some pretty cool stuff this year." So here’s my list of the top coolest things I’ve seen or discovered this year.

Brooklyn Street Art: One of the main reasons to visit the big city is the street art. These were in Brooklyn in June when we we were in town for the Renegade Craft Fair Brooklyn. Nice tiger face, eh? Here’s some more NY street art for ya.


Starfish: I’ve never seen a starfish in the wild. Seriously. Well, this year I saw two. The first one, a ochre starfish, is from January when I visited Los Angeles, California and drove up to Big Sur. The second one is from our recent trip to Emerald Isle, North Carolina. As I've been trying to find info on the second starfish to no avail, if anyone can correctly identify the second starfish, I'll ship you a free Panel Painting! Just leave a comment and we'll take it from there. Here is a Flickr photo I found of the same starfish.

My little nephew, Easton. Okay, so blog readers probably don’t really care about this, but hey it’s my first nephew! He’s eating a mango with his momma Juliet in the Philippines where she returned to visit her family. Before and after our trip to Emerald Isle, we stopped in Raleigh to soak up some quality time with him.


The Jersey Shore. So, yes, everyone knows that New Jersey has a bad rep. But that’s pretty bogus when it comes to the Jersey Shore. This pristine landscape is rife with national geographic vistas, old-fashioned clam diggers, and a plethora of nautical inspirations. I saw this sign on my way to get some fresh clams, and I was struck by its charm. See, you can have a sign that’s decorative while being stern and instructive. The Jersey Shore was also host to the World Series of Bird Watching this year. So take that New York!

Banana Slug: I was trying to camp one night in Big Sur and I saw this awesome thing. I really did think it was a moving banana. Pretty amazing. And I found these little guys online, so if you want to get something slug inspired and a little less slimy for your desk check this.

Hiking in the Rockies: Despite a lackluster Cherry Creek Arts Festival, the hiking that preceded and followed the festival was certainly a treat. We hiked three different parks that are part of the Jefferson County Open Space Project and would recommend each of them: Mount Falcon Park, Lair o' the Bear Park, Deer Creek Canyon Park. This shot, from Moutn Falcon Park, looks out over Red Rocks park and ampitheater.

Update 8/12/09: Thanks to Laura O'Brien for helping us identify the starfish in question. We're shipping a Panel Painting to her today!


4 comments:

Ellobie said...

Too easy!
http://oceanica.cofc.edu/TRCH-Echinos/web_Seastars/page01.htm

Caley said...

Great post Dol! These things are all very cool.

Dolan Geiman said...

It looks like you're the winner Ellobie. Contact us with your mailing addres and we'll happily ship you a Panel Painting.

I'm still wondering, though, if the starfish has a common name.

Monica Kaye said...

The common name is the Margin Plated Seastar. We saw one at the aquarium in NC, but I didn't remember the name so I called the friendly education director in Manteo and she was able to identify. Made for a great research project and learned so much about other species in the process. My 6 year old Delaney is obsessed with sea life and hopes to be a marine biologist. Maybe you will paint one someday soon?